Thursday 9 December 2010

Caryn Franklin @ UCA


The multi-talented Caryn Franklin paid a visit the University for Creative Arts (UCA). She gave her viewpoint on diversity in fashion, including the whole size 0/lack of black models shabang. The talk itself was quite insightful, and weirdly enough got me thinking of diversity amongst designers- apart from the usual Japanese geniuses, the only designer I can think of at the top of my head who isn't Caucasian is Hussein Chalayan...
Can you think of any more? Enlighten me please. (and Sean Combs DOES NOT count)

Back to the talk, Ms Franklin bought in this large piece of fabric she asked us to write on. we basically had to write what diversity means to us- typically, I couldn't think of anything other than 'diversity is beautiful' at a time where I had a load of work to run off and do.

The fabric will end up being made into a dress by Alexander Mcqueen's couturier and will be on display at the national gallery.

No comments: